Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Real Tragedy

We've been having an issue with our internet connectivity recently, so apologies for my absence of however long I've been gone from here. Lucky for you, I'm back now! And I'm here to talk about this Mosque at Ground Zero business, so I'm jumping right into that.

Basically, it's a lot of bullshit. Well, you know, just like every other goddamn thing. I'm not talking about building a mosque (it's actually an Islamic cultural center, which happens to include a mosque), and I'm not even talking about building a mosque at or near Ground Zero, or opening it on 11 September. None of those things alone is bullshit. However, combining all of them into one big fucking event, well, that is a considerable amount of bullshit. Frankly, I don't care if it pisses people off that they're doing it; the only reason it bothers me is because that's the WHOLE GODDAMN REASON THEY'RE DOING IT. I mean, you're just asking for a shitstorm if you're going to be either insensitive or unaware enough to open a mosque anywhere in the vicinity of Ground Zero on 11 September. I don't particularly direct attacks at Muslims more than anybody of any other faith, but this is just stupid. You don't go and plan something like that and not realize that people are going to get pissed, so you must be doing it intentionally. And it's so easy, because then you can just say, hey, this is America, freedom of religion and all that, and if you're opposed to this, you're a racist or a bigot or whatever and you're trying to take away our rights. By doing this, you are just looking to start a fight, and you fucking know it.

By the same token, there's nothing illegal or even particularly immoral about it, so we need to not be making an issue of that. Maybe it is legitimately insensitive to some people, almost certainly the decision to put that thing where you want to put it and open it on that particular day is in poor taste, so if you want to say that, then fine. I'll support that. As usual, my real complaint is just that people are acting like idiots on both sides of this issue. It would have been the smart and decent thing to at least open the damn thing a day later or whatever, but they didn't do that. The folks opposed to this thing could've just shrugged and figured, whatever, it ultimately doesn't affect me, I'll let it go, but they're not, because some people just have to make it a point to be offended by something or other on a regular basis. Are you people just bored or something? Go find something constructive to do, like poking a hornet's nest. I hope someone flies a plane into the side of your fucking head, and I'll have the good sense to not put up a library or a university or a museum at the site of the horrible wrong done against your stupidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment