Monday, December 28, 2009

Just As Bad

I seem to keep losing large chunks of time here. I'm not intentionally trying to go entire weeks without posting a blog, things just kinda keep coming up, you know? Especially with the holidays...argh, I hate this time of year. But you already knew that, right?

You know something else? We are the worst generation, probably ever. I'm not saying every single one of us on a personal level, but the vast majority of us, when considered collectively. You know how I know this? Jon Stewart has a job, that's how I know. I mean, a lot of people in this generation like Jon Stewart. Even I like Jon Stewart, though I don't watch his show with any regularity. But I know what he stands for, and I like it. Much has already been said of the ironic truth that most people of this generation get their news from a "fake" news show (and I put fake in air quotations because it claims to be fake, yet is in fact much more real than any other news show out there), and it was much ballyhooed (wow, did I just use that word? How old am I?) when it was revealed that Mr. Stewart was the most trusted television news anchor in the country. So, because of this phenomenon of sorts, the previous generation has classified us as the worst generation. I mean, we get our news from a comedian, how serious can we be about anything? But that takes me to...no, you know what? Fuck that. The previous generation, now they ARE the worst generation, because they are the ones who created an environment in which we didn't trust anyone from their generation, be it a news anchor, a politician, a teacher, or our own fucking parents.

Look at the world they created. What a fucking mess. I'm not saying that our generation is going to do any better. Hell, we'll probably make it worse, since about all most of us can do is vacuously watch The Hills and download another app to our iPhone and make sweet, sweet love to Sarah Jessica Parker in our minds. Even at that, I'd like to believe that makes us better, or at least more harmless than the previous generations, who were better known for doing things like joining the KKK or beating brown people to death with a cross or whatever they did for fun back in the day. But does it make us better? If we were useless in a quiet way, then maybe I could buy that. Unfortunately, most of us are useless in the loudest and most obnoxious way we can come up with, and most of us have this bizarre and overwhelming desire to try to project our choice of lifestyle onto anybody within a four thousand mile radius. I wouldn't say that's better than anything...but maybe it's just as bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment