Sunday, March 28, 2010

Inside the (Terrible) Actors' Studio

You know something? This is my blog, damn it, and I can and will write about whatever I like. It doesn't always have to be about the latest political news, or supposedly important stuff. Hell, I don't write about that stuff because it's important, I write about it because it's interesting to me. And today, what is interesting to me is to write about how I despise Ray Romano. You know why I can't stand the guy? Because fuck Ray Romano, that's why. However, this is a blog, and I can't leave it at that. Surely you, my valued reader, demand more detail as to what it is about Ray Romano that just doesn't chop my liver.

See, the thing is, Ray Romano doesn't do anything that Tony Danza and Joe Mantegna haven't been doing better for much, much longer. Everybody loves Raymond, yes. But where, my friends, is the love for Tony Danza and Joe Mantegna? Ray Romano wouldn't even have a stereotypical Italian patriarchal role to butcher if it wasn't for Tony Danza. Who's the boss? Well, it ain't Springsteen, and it sure the hell ain't Ray Romano. Fuck no, it's Tony Danza! And now I have to say something about Joe Mantegna to defend my position that he is better than Ray Romano, so here's that: Ray Romano appeared on one episode of The Simpsons, whereas Joe Mantegna has been on the show numerous times over the previous two decades. That is to say, wherever somebody is playing a crappier version of "that Italian guy" on any TV show, Ray Romano is there. Whenever I see Ray Romano on TV, it almost makes me wish I was watching the Golf Channel. Almost.

Seriously, what kind of country is this that some guy can just go and steal the character already played successfully by two other talented actors, do a piss-poor job of it, and make millions of dollars at it? Oh, right. It's that kind of country.

Next week on my feature on actors who should just give up, I haven't decided who annoys me more, Ben Stiller or Kevin James, but it'll be one of them. Or I'll be lazy and not write about it. But let it be known that the world is worse for their presence.

1 comment:

  1. It should be Kevin James, since he got his start on... Ray Ramono's show...

    When I was younger I was completely convinced I was going to marry Tony Danza... and then when he came out with a cookbook I KNEW I was going to marry Tony Danza.

    ReplyDelete