Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Enemies of the Mind

Day Two at Target. Much slower day this time around, slow enough that the last hour or so was spent largely being sent from one end of the store to another, looking for something else to do. At least I had company for most of that. At one point, there were about ten Flow people over in the health and beauty section (that is, cosmetics and such...ah, euphemisms for everything, how I hate that), which was about nine more people than really needed to be there. On top of that, I guess what we were putting out was stuff from back stock, but wherever it came from, it had no numbers to indicate where it ought to go on the shelves, and there are several rows of the stuff, so it was an awful lot like typing using the hunt and peck method while blindfolded. But hey, it sure beat unloading the truck, with someone on you constantly to go faster, go faster, and you know, there are limits to how fast a person can move, and at some point, you start moving so fast that you become one with the boxes.

I've been watching a lot of Food Network lately. Is that weird? I can't decide if that's weird for me or not. I mean, I do love food. But it's not like I can cook or anything. Well, I guess I probably could if I really tried...most things, I can just sort of wing it and it'll come out okay. You know what's awesome? Barbecue...oh, I loves me some BBQ. I know I'm not a super manly man or anything, but when it comes to food, I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I'll eat some veg, I like pasta, but my favorite things are burgers and ribs. I'm all over that. I always thought steak was overrated, though. Too chewy for me. Same reason I stay away from the white meat in chicken and turkey. Too dry, too chewy. I like my meat juicy. Wow, that could possibly be taken the wrong way, eh?

For a final thought, Pat Robertson is the devil. Okay, that's ridiculous. I don't believe in the devil. Seriously though, the guy is terrible and ridiculous. I know he doesn't exactly have much credibility anymore, but you know there are still some fringy lunatics out there listening to and believing this guy's bilious words. Pat Robertson and people like him are largely responsible for the rampant anti-intellectualism in this country, which is why we're lagging so far behind Western Europe when it comes to...well, just about everything really. Makes a person wonder when the American populace are going to come to their senses and renounce religious dogma and fundamentalism and all those enemies of the mind. Really makes you wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment