Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It's All in the Title

So, I just read two other blogs, and both of the writers made mention of their astrological signs and at least half-seriously used them to explain some aspect of their behavior. That's not a criticism or anything, I do that myself all the time (I'm a Libra, I strive for balance in my life, etc.) Just interesting. Also, why do some people always have to be doing something? Is there something so wrong with a degree of tranquility in your life? I dunno, maybe it's just me, but it seems like everything these days just has to happen so fast, and we just have to be doing something constantly, or else we're not being productive. My thinking is, you can do something without really doing something, you know? Some people would say that writing in this blog isn't really all that productive, and that I should be doing something worthwhile. Just because you're out of the house doesn't mean you're doing something productive. You're probably just dicking around somewhere, trying to make your body or your brain or both feel like it's doing something when it actually isn't. Maybe I'm just deluded or I feel like I'm having more of an impact on the world than I really am...well, not really. I wish I was having more of an impact on the world with these entries, because the world would be so much better off if it would listen to me. Well, it would at least be a world free of Nickelback and Sarah Palin...so, I write, and hope that someone will listen eventually, so that even if this is not immediately productive, it could be someday! I'm just kind of rambling now. Let's focus...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/world/swine-flu-a-false-pandemic-to-sell-vaccines-expert-says/story-e6frev00-1225818409903

Saw that this morning. The gist of it is in the title. I read that, and I'm thinking...holy hell, I was saying that six months ago! The press is just now getting this idea? I mean, I know six months ago it seemed a bit like a conspiracy theory, but come on! Was anybody seriously worried about this swine flu? It's actually quite a bit less severe than your typical flu, and certainly less deadly. But, you know, people just have to get all worked up about nothing. It's what we do best. And then the media plays it up, because we have the worst news coverage ever. Instead of actually attempting to detail the facts, they go right for the sensationalist aspects. And because the media blows it out of proportion, it becomes a pandemic. And because everything in this country has to make money somehow, we exploit the panic to sell some vaccines. Ah, good ol' capitalism. By the way, yes, I see that the article is from Australia. It applies here just the same, if not more.

Now that's productivity!

1 comment:

  1. At least I lack the trendy tattoo of self-proclamation. A girl in my modern dance class has your Libra tattoo sibling inked on her right jugular.

    I didn't make the jump from zodiacs to the concept of productiveness with you in this. It was a random leap.

    ReplyDelete