Sunday, January 10, 2010

That Ain't Right

My summation of the contents of my blog (as described to Liz):

I've been skipping joyfully between political and moral outrage, daily events, free-floating hatred, random admonishments, stories with no beginning and no end, and series of rhetorical questions.

I think that covers the better part of it. Anyone have anything they would like to add to that?

I like a little bit of diversity here. I get bored doing the same sorts of things over and over. If anyone reading this remembers me in high school, you might recall my time as an editorialist for the school paper, when I wrote articles about the following, in this order: the bad parts of Christianity, sporks, legalization of drugs, Pete Rose, and the downside of modern medicine. So yes, I do like a little variety.

Today, I've got some thoughts on the controversy brewing in Washington, D.C., pertaining to the new laws permitting gay marriage. My general thoughts on gay marriage are positive. I mean, hell, your heart hasn't got any idea about the sex of the person (people?) you love. Besides that, two gay men is twice as hilarious as one gay man! And two gay women...well, that's just hot! Haha, I kid, I kid! Seriously, though, screw the government for allowing conservative bigots to hold a gun to their head on this issue. Gay people are still people, after all, no reason they shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else. And if some people don't like it, then they can not have anything to do with it, but they should not be allowed to force their beliefs onto people who want nothing to do with them. You know what they call that in the civilized world? They call that a dictatorship! Anyway, D.C. passed a law permitting gay marriage, and the Catholic Church is freaking out, of course. The archdiocese is threatening to pull out their social programs because the law essentially would force the Church to adhere to the law and not exclude gay couples from their programs. But, oh no, that would require the church to recognize gay marriages!

Frankly, these people need to get their heads out of their collective asses and realize that the world is changing. You wonder why you're seeing more and more empty seats in the pews every week? It's because you are out of touch with the real world in this day and age! These days, there are probably more men scraping their knees in the bedroom than in your confessionals. People are having a harder and harder time relating to outdated religions. The unfortunate side effect of this, of course, is that the people who stick with the religion are becoming increasingly fanatical about it, and we're getting more and more zealots, which means more screaming lunatics trying to influence the politicians, which means more anti-gay laws and all that nasty sort of legislation that infringes all over people's rights. And when you get right down to it, that's the one I feel most strongly about. Rights are rights, and nobody deserves to have them taken away based on nothing more than the way they are wired. That ain't right.

No comments:

Post a Comment