Monday, November 9, 2009

Everyone Seems to Need the Cure

So, the health care bill passed the House of Representatives a couple days ago. This is relatively big news and all that, and I've been vocal about health care reform in certain circles for some time now, so I really ought to remark on something about it. I was waiting until I found the right angle to approach it from, and I've found it:

http://kucinich.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=153995

That's the statement released by Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) regarding why he voted against the bill. I must say, I tend not to give much credit to politicians in this country, but his explanation for his vote was remarkably insightful, and I applaud his willingness to take that position, even if I am not in full agreement with his vote. In short, he voted against the bill because he felt like the main thing it would do would be to drop an additional $70 billion into the already deep pockets of the health insurance companies. Well, yeah, he's absolutely right on that count. Clearly, his feelings against lining the pockets of the insurance companies outweighed his desire to improve the health care situations of millions of Americans. The sense I get is that he felt like the public option should have been stronger and the coverage more comprehensive and beneficial to the American public rather than to the insurance companies. But, the bill is what it is, and I'm sure he felt like he was in a difficult position: either vote for a limited and weak bill, or vote against further strengthening the insurance companies. It's not a choice I would want to make myself, and I cannot honestly say which way I would have voted myself had the decision been laid at my feet. Frankly, I think even a strong public option isn't going far enough; I think the whole system needs to be trashed and started from scratch. I think insurance companies are a scam and ought to be illegal. They're vultures, pure and simple, and they actually do nothing but get in the way of people receiving the health care they ought to be guaranteed. Yeah, my view of things is probably awfully idealistic, and maybe better in theory than in practice. Even with its own set of flaws though, it would be far better than what we've got now. And it's sure the hell better than fining people for not having health insurance. Sure, let's take away more money from people who clearly don't have enough, as evidenced by the fact that they DON'T HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE TO BEGIN WITH. That rationale is incomprehensible to me.

Regarding the health care bill that did pass the House, well...progress in this country has always been very incremental. One would hope that, if this is enacted into law, that it is only the first step, and that further steps will come in short order, because this country is sick, and hopefully not incurable.

No comments:

Post a Comment