Sunday, November 8, 2009

Relative Sanity

People sure do like to tell me what I have to do, what I ought to do, what I should do. That's all well and good, and I appreciate the concern, but you have no idea what it's like to be me. Do I seem like the kind of guy who's very comfortable working around people? Do I seem like I could even function as someone who puts on a suit and tie and does the 9 to 5 thing? I know, it's easy to say that I should go out there and get that kind of job, but that's coming from people who seem to be blissfully unaware of the kind of anxiety it causes me even to think about that sort of thing.

Look, it's just not who I am. I'm the kind of guy who wants and needs a quiet, low-stress job, one that doesn't chew up all my energy so I still feel like working on my book at the end of the day. Everyone has been telling me for years that I should be a writer, but now that I'm really trying to be, suddenly that's not enough, now I have to go do something else? Is this not America? Am I not free to pursue my happiness? Well, I'm damn well trying to! How about supporting me in what I'm doing, instead of complaining about what I'm not? It may not be your way, and it may not be what you like, but it doesn't have to be. I've always made my own way, and it's done pretty well for me.

This wasn't my planned topic for today. I was going to do something about movies or music or maybe both, and I might still later. But this had been bugging me for awhile, and it got really bad the last couple days, and by the time I got to this point today, I was screaming in the car, so I had to air some grievances here. Now, to re-direct my anger at something more productive: my book.

1 comment:

  1. I'm dating a writer and have picked up a few tips on getting by:

    1) Editorials. All newspapers from the Wall Street Journal to the corner website pay people for editorials. The Wall Street Journal pays $300 per submission they print, The Atlantic monthly $300 (I think), and all the way down to sites like pajamasmedia.com that pay $100 an entry (magazines and other periodicals work the same way). Lots of the smaller sites in particular are desperate for people with good grammar and coherent thoughts to convey. I'm sure you'd have no trouble getting an editor to get back to you looking to polish a freelance piece you've submitted.

    2) Grants / Stipends. Drum up some interest in the book, and see if anyone'll read a 4-page summary of it and like it enough to want to help. Companies know how writing works--you can't treat it like a 9-5 job--you have to wait for inspiration / mood. Likewise, having a 9-5 kills any desire to be creative later in the day. Long story short, you're already a good writer. So if you haven't looked into it already, find a talent manager or a writing agent. They'll know who to contact about turning words on the page into money in the bank.

    3) Mentoring / Editing. For every person that can write, there are three idiots that can't. For every person who can write well, there are a hundred that can't tell the different "there" and "they're". Most writers that suck know this too. Craigstlist (especially out here in LA) is overflowing with people that need articles proofread, scripts edited, and the like. The beauty of writing is that you can do it from anywhere, and a script treatment consultant who writes well working from Ohio that charges half what a starving script treatment consultant from LA would charge still is twice the price for something you'd be corresponding via email anyway. So, check the Craigslist postings in LA, New York, Chicago, etc, too. You might be surprised.

    Hope any of these ideas are helpful or at least interesting to think about. I know a couple of professional writers who are making rent, car payments, etc, as freelance writers. It's completely doable, and if anything I'd imagine it'd be easier from somewhere like Ohio where the cost of living is half what it is here.

    Anyway, good luck.

    - Charles

    ReplyDelete